Monday, August 18, 2008

Lincoln's Birth Story

We've had several people ask about Lincoln's birth. So, I thought I'd take a minute to share that special day with you. I know it's been 4 weeks... but, better late then never!

The weekend of his due date we had friends come and stay with us. Both Brad and I just KNEW he was going to be born late... so, why not have friends up for a visit. The week before we had already started to do some things to encourage labor... we walked around the mall a couple of times and ate spicy Indian food twice! When Johnny and Sheila came to visit we went to eat Korean food... that was Friday night. The next morning (Sat. July 26) Brad owed Johnny breakfast in bed because he lost a bet. Now, when they bet there always has to be something embarrassing involved. So, breakfast in bed had to be served in a dress... yes, a DRESS. That morning I helped Brad pick out a dress of mine to wear. He went down stairs to start breakfast and I took a bath.

That is when I finally felt my first contraction!! I got out of the bath and called for Brad... and, told him that I was pretty sure I was having contractions. I never was really sure I felt braxton hicks at any time during the pregnancy. I know I had them because while I was in the hospital on bed rest they monitor you twice a day and they showed up on that a couple of times. I didn't know. So, this was all new to me. Brad finished breakfast and I tried to keep track of my contractions. They pretty much started 5 maybe 6 minutes apart and lasted 35-45 seconds. It was hard to time because I was cramping also. I wasn't sure if that counted as part of the contraction or when to start and stop counting. During our birthing class they teach you different positions to labor in... so, I decided to try a few. I quickly found that it did not feel good to stand... at all. Once Brad had finished breakfast he came up stairs to check on me. We decided to go ahead and head to the hospital. I didn't want to wait and have contractions closer and stronger and not be able to make it down 2 flights of stairs... since it hurt to stand.

Once at the hospital we found that I was already 5 cm dilated and the baby was at plus 2 (plus 4 is crowning). My wonderful midwife said I could be cramping because the baby was so low already. Labor progressed. I'm not really sure how I feel about contractions... honestly, all I remember is the cramping. Well, I did get sick twice. That was not fun!! I pretty much stayed lying on one side or the other. Brad kept me cool with a wash cloth and I did my thing. Brad says I was in the zone. Time passed. Lindsay (my midwife) and Brad would dose off to sleep. Apparently, the flute music we had playing was VERY relaxing! Then it was time to push. That was hard work. Without getting too graphic... Lincoln was born. It was an insane and completely amazing feeling.

Oh, by the way... there were no drugs... all natural!! People have asked if it was painful. I can't really describe it as being painful. It was about 8 hours of hard work. And, there were moments that were not pleasant... but, I wouldn't use the word painful. I went into it with a positive mindset and did what I had to do to achieve the kind of birth that Brad and I wished for... and, it was so worth it!!

Brad and I cried... Lincoln cried... we all cried. It was a happy time! :)

2 comments:

Emily said...

Go you! Sounds like you did a great job. I felt the same way about timing the contractions - couldn't really tell when one stopped and another started! :)

Rachel said...

Ohhhhh I just have to make another comment about that picture you have in this post. My absolute favorite picture in a long time. You can literally "feel" it! Congratulations---again, a gorgeous gorgeous baby (but you don't need me to tell you that)