This has been a hard week....
Last Sunday Lincoln started to run a fever. He ran a fever off and on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. My mom came up to help love on my baby boy on Tuesday so I could go and get some groceries. See, we had returned home on Sunday after being out of town for two weeks (I'll post about that later)... so, we had no food in the house and I had ran out of left over pizza from Sunday night. Anyways, I wasn't too worried about the fever because I knew it was just his body fighting off a virus. When his fever wasn't high he was still moving around, playing and interacting with me. And, even when his fever was high he didn't seem that bad... just wanted some extra lovin and cuddling! But, when Wednesday came and he was still running a fever I decided to take him to the pedi just to make sure there wasn't something more going on. Went to the pedi and she said it was more than likely a virus and that his fever would break today (Wednesday) or tomorrow... and that a rash might appear. We tested for the flu just to make sure... no flu. She also said that his throat was raw but, not like strep. Well, she was right (I guess that's why she's the doctor). Wednesday night we were fever free and no fever on Thursday. And, the rash did appear! And, by the way... Lincoln hated the pedi visit. Screamed his head off. It made me cry. And, if you ask me, that's why his throat was red!
So, I thought... yea! We made it... my little guy will start to feel better now!! Um, that morning (Thursday... the day his fever broke... the day he was suppose to get some relief) he had one small bout of diarrhea. He fell and hit his cheek... which left a lovely bruise. He fell again and hit the space under his nose... which left a mark that made him look like Hitler. And then... the worst... he burnt three of his precious little fingers. I was holding him and went to turn off the baby steamer. Before I knew it he had lunged forward and stuck his hand in the steam. It was the most awful thing. He was in so much pain and nothing I was doing seemed to help. I was useless and I just felt horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was screaming like I've never heard him scream before... it was killing me... it was awful, awful... horrible!
He finally calmed down. We continued to put aloe vera on his fingers... which he now thought was funny. Go figure. And, it was time for a nap. After nap Lincoln fell and hit his other cheek... left a mark And, later on... he fell and hit his ear... which left a rug burn. If you've lost count... that's four falls and four marks... and, let's not forget the burnt fingers... and the diarrhea... all in ONE day! Could it get any worse???
Yes.
Brad came home that night. Lincoln was irritable and cranky. I couldn't really blame him. He had had a rough day. He has been more irritable since his fever broke than when he was running the actual fever!
Friday... no falls. Better disposition. But, still irritable and cranky in the evening.
This morning, Saturday (no, it's not over) I got this brilliant idea to let Lincoln try eggs. He seemed to like them. He ate eggs, broccoli, potatoes and fruit. I went to put him to sleep for his nap a little later. And, as he was drifting off to sleep in my arms... he started to throw up. He threw up every last bit of what he had eaten that morning. It didn't seem to bother him quite as much as I thought it would or as much as it bothered me! We both had to strip and get cleaned up. Brad got to clean up the carpet. Once cleaned up... Lincoln got to sleep.
No more eggs for Lincoln!
The rest of the day went much smoother. No fever, no falls with bumps and bruises, no burns, no diarrhea, and no more vomiting. We even made it out of the house to run a few errands. The irritability and crankiness has subsided considerably. And, it's night time... he's asleep.
Tomorrow starts a new week.
1 year ago
2 comments:
Oh poor thing. The joys of motherhood (but I bet you wouldn't change a thing!) I hate seeing my babies sick. By now they have learned that they can get pretty much ANYTHING they want when they are really sick. I just can't stand being helpless and want them to feel better! Its so hard to see your child in pain too (the burn!) Glad everything is better. That is so weird about the eggs. Do you think he is allergic, or just ate too much?
I think he ate too much 'cause he threw up a ton...didn't get sick any afterwards. It's the worst feeling having a sick child that you cannot really help.
Post a Comment