Lincoln loves the cats. Dakota never did fully warm up to him. I mean, she wasn't going to let him get too close. Not that I blamed her... he gets so excited that he would just scare her!! But, she would come check on him and seemed concerned anytime he would get hurt and really cry. Lincoln was with me when I found Dakota. At first he wanted to play with her... but, he soon could tell that something was wrong. There were tears in his eyes. I know that he didn't really understand what had happened. But, he knew that mommy was sad.
Dakota was the first pet Brad and I got as a married couple. She was out first "baby." She became part of the family the Christmas after we had been married. I can't believe I'm going to share this story... but, what the heck! We were spending Christmas with my mom's side of the family at one of my aunts house. They always have a lot of animals around... cats, dogs, horses, rabbits... I think they even had a donkey once. A litter of kittens had recently been born and Dakota was the runt of the litter. There she was, this tiny little thing... cuddled up underneath this vent trying to stay warm. So, I started to play with her. And, as the night went on I became more and more attached... or, if I'm to be honest... the more and more I drank the more and more I became attached. I wanted to take her home. I don't think Brad was too happy with the idea of having a cat. Specially, since we weren't suppose to have pets in the apartment. But, when it came time to leave... Dakota left with us. Yes, Brad caved in... really, I don't think he wanted to cause a scene... because, I may already cried a little. But, she was ours. She was a great cat. Perfect personality. She could be feisty and ornery... playful, lazy, sweet and lovable. Perfect....
I remember when she was younger and it was still just her (we didn't have Jersey yet, our other cat) she would jump up on the bed during the wee hours of the morning and bite me on the neck. I mean, really bite... that was her way of telling me to get up and feed her! She would do that or knock things over to try and get my attention. Once we got Jersey, Dakota would just start picking on her... which would irritate me and cause me to get up and lock her out of the bedroom. I always gave her a few pieces of food before I slammed the door in her face! I didn't really slam the door... but, giving her food after she picked on Jersey obviously wasn't a good idea!!!
When Dakota was younger she would nap in the bathroom sinks. She would also follow me around after I got home from work until I would sit down... so, she could jump up on my lap and get some loving! Dakota loved to play with the laser pointer (hadn't done that in awhile). She would play with other toys also... until she got tired. Then she'd lay down and swat at the toy... haha, lazy cat! She traveled well in the car... unlike our other cat. And, Dakota loved to eat! You had to fight her off if you were eating fish. And, you couldn't leave pans out on the stove that were used to cook meat in because she would lick them clean!! Dakota loved to go outside also. As soon as she would get outside she would rub herself on the patio floor. On occasion, I would find her INSIDE the turtle's tank... or sitting on top of the hamster's tank... keeping a close eye on the critter!
We have so many good memories.
I still can't believe she's gone. She is the reason I will always have cats in my life....
I wanted to add more photos... but, most of the ones of the cats are on the other computer. So, this will have to do....
We love you and miss you sweet girl!!
1 comment:
Oh my gosh...I am so so sorry. I didn't know about this! We lost Reggie (our first dog we got right after week got married) just about a year ago and it was SO AWFUL. I know how emotional it is. We cried for weeks. I hope you are doing okay.
Post a Comment